A post dedicated to what’s in my hospital bag…or what I’m thinking about putting in my hospital bag…or stuff that may or may not end up in some sort of carrying apparatus thrown together when leaving for the hospital, because it’s what we do…procrastinate.
I’ve read up on this a lot, blogs, websites, message boards…and the common theme is that new moms packed way too many items they never used. So I’ve come up with my own list, some of these items I already have, but the others I’ve chosen are items I think are necessities, at least for me.
And I’ve left out obvious items likes cameras, cell phone chargers and toiletries because I figured those are no-brainers…
- Empty Diaper Bag – I’ve seen this posted multiple places. Take an empty diaper bag to stock up on the freebies at the hospital. Diapers, blankets, etc…and don’t feel guilty, because your insurance, and you, pay for all of it. Another thing I’ve procrastinated on…purchasing a diaper bag. I did spy this one at Burlington though…
- Going Home Outfit – I’ve read you don’t need much for baby at the hospital, since most everything is provided, but I’ll be packing 1-2 outfits in different sizes for little bean, once I can actually decided what I want her to wear. This cute one pictured is from Target.
- Blanket(s) – I know the hospital provides receiving blankets, but I’ll likely pack one of my new faves, Aden + Anais swaddling blankets…and likely the blanket I’m making…or haven’t started yet, for those paying attention.
- Socks – For chilly toes and feet. I’ve read socks with grippers are good, but I just really liked these owl socks from Target. I’ll likely just throw in whatever socks happen to be clean…
- Flip Flops – For walking around on dirty floors and to wear while showering. Again, something I own plenty of, but I couldn’t resist including these purple ombre ones from Target! Pretty sure I need them!
- Robe – Some moms like to include nightgowns, but since I hear things are a little, um, messy after giving birth, I’ve opted out of bringing pj’s and just plan to utilize hospital gowns with a comfy robe. I don’t own nightgowns, and I’m not about to buy one that will get ruined. I have a robe I plan to pack, but this purple striped number from Target is cute and seems really comfy.
- Nursing Pillow – I received this Leachco Nursing Pillow at my shower (available at Walmart) and I’m pretty much obsessed with the owl-y print. I’m thinking it will come in handy for this time mom and her journey into breastfeeding. I also plan to bring along my personal bed pillow and a blanket from home, for comfort.
- Leggings/Yoga Pants – I’m not even wearing jeans out of that hospital. Yoga pants it is! I’m in need of a new pair and I love these foldover leggings from Target.
- Nursing Tank(s) – Going for comfort and simplicity here, folks. I own the black cami, sent to me from Thyme Maternity (available online at Babies R Us) and I really love it, but need to pick up a handful more for life at home, like the rust one from Target.
- Nursing Bra(s) – Yet another item on my “need to buy” list. Target has a fairly large selection that aren’t hideous.
- Personal Care Products – Nursing Pads and industrial-sized Maxi Pads, because I hear the hospital-provided pads are less than fun.
Simple and to the point, but we also only live about 10 minutes from the hospital, so anything additional we need isn’t too far away.
What are some of your hospital bag necessities? Or, if you’ve done this all before, what did you find was most useful and what wasn’t worth packing?