A room for baby…the idea is slightly daunting. While we are both artists and love all things pretty and inspiring, we suck at decorating. As in, we’re too lazy to get things decorated. But this little bean has me motivated to create inspiring spaces. Most notably, the tot’s room. The room that will eventually be baby’s is currently the “office.” I use that term lightly because the room houses two desks, two computers and a couple of boxes that are still packed from when we moved…a year ago! Otherwise, it’s a blank slate. And while a newborn doesn’t notice, or care, what their room is like, I do! So I’ve put together some ideas for how I’d like it to look. In the end, I can’t promise it’ll be anything more than a crib and some random baby gear, I’m going to try my best to create a beautiful space, in baby’s room and beyond…
With that said, I’ve never been one for tradition when it comes to a lot of things in life. Decorating being one of them. I like the random, I like patterns, I like ALL THE COLORS…Winnie the Pooh or Minnie Mouse crib bedding sets would never work for me (and it’s becoming more apparent that I generally don’t care for Winnie the Pooh…Classic Pooh, yes). Bedding sets in general will never work for me, because there’s always something about it I don’t like. I want to mix colors and patterns for this room/decor, and don’t want anything too gender specific. Yes, we are finding out the gender, but having an all pink or all blue nursery was never on my agenda. We love animals. Particularly woodland animals…owls, foxes, squirrels…so I’d like to add bits of that here and there, mixed in with our love of typography.
Here’s my first go-round…this being the “dream” version…because, let’s be honest, we can’t afford most of this shiz…
1.Walnut Ellipse 6 Drawer Dresser – $999 – landofnod.com – I’d like a low, horizontal dresser to use as a changing station. This one is just the modern design I love, but with a hefty price tag. I’d like to find a dresser second-hand to refinish, or find an alternative to this one.
2. Modern Nursery Decor Crib Mobile – $49 – via bottzstudios on Etsy – I love this. The shapes, the colors…and I also think I could DIY this baby!
3. Branches Coat Tree – $99 – landofnod.com – I love this coat tree for the simple fact that it’s adorable…’nuff said…
4. Luca Glider (Orange) – $995 – landofnod.com – Seriously, how beautiful is that?! Of course it’s almost $1,000! And that price doesn’t even include the ottoman.
5. Babyletto Modo 3-in-1 Crib (Espresso) – $390 – babiesrus.com – I love retro-modern furniture. And this fits the bill! I originally thought about placing this crib on layaway, but I found a much more affordable alternative, which I’ll include in the “affordable” baby room round-up!
6. Soapstone Globe – $368 – anthropologie.com – Again, just another decor item I found while browsing around that I just love. Travel is another subject I find fascinating. I did find a DIY for this item as well, assuming I can find a cheap globe to spray down with chalkboard paint!
7. Chevron Fitted Crib Sheets (Gray & Green) – $9.99 – target.com – Obviously these aren’t expensive, but I included them here because they’re likely the sheets I’ll be purchasing. Though I have found a few owl/woodland sheets that I’m considering as well. I just really liked this pattern and the colors.
8. Gray Owl – $24 – pier1.com – Again, not outrageous, but I love him and he fits the “theme” I’m going for…
9. Blabla Doll Socks the Fox Giant – $180 – laylagrace.com – I mean, he is 3′ tall, but come on! Who pays $180 for a stuffed doll?! They do have a smaller version, but still…he is pretty damn amazing though. I love an orange fox in a necktie!
10. Retro Alphabet Animals 13 x 19 – $25 – via indellibleinkworkshop on Etsy – Again, not terribly expensive, but I’m contemplating making my own alphabet art print, you know, because I’m really good at finishing projects (right). But in the likely event I don’t make my own art, this is a lovely option and I love the colors!
12. Vintage Inspired Marquee Light- Letter L – $150 – via saddleshoesigns on Etsy – I love marquee lights, and found a DIY for this as well! I’ll share later. Oh, and yes, A and L are clues to names we like, and no, we aren’t telling 😉
13. Personalized Family Art – $150 – uncommongoods.com – It’s the inclusion of the two kitties that reeled me in. I would never spend $150 on this, but I could recreate using my own art! Love it.
14. Emerson Shelby Area Rug – $273 – target.com – Perfect shapes, perfect colors…not-so-perfect price, but still awesome.
Lots of things…lots of money…but lots of ideas on how to recreate these items on a budget. Because our budget is basically ZERO! But I’m looking forward to the challenge of it all, and I’m feeling creative and hoping this motivates me to get crafty!