For today’s 5 on Friday, I’m talking about 5 things that are both frustrating and fun…all the DIY shiz I’m creating for little bean’s room!
1) The crib skirt…this was supposed to be easy, but please note that I hate patterns. That being said, I tried to make this as easy as possible with separate panels, rectangular in nature…that is, until I received the amazing I pined over for months, only to find out the pattern ran OPPOSITE of the way it should, thus presenting a problem with the front panel, which I color-blocked to avoid matching up prints. It’s not how I envisioned things, and I dropped quite a few f bombs in the process, especially after attaching ties and then attaching to the crib mattress frame only to find out that some strategically placed metal bars cause the sides to hang funny…just don’t look at the sides, ok?! (and please excuse the instagram photos, once finished, I’ll take photos with my “actual” camera)
2) The matching quilt/blanket…a couple of years ago, Brennan’s mom had a baby, his first sibling. Being that Brennan lives with us and she lives all the way across the US, I created a project for him to help him feel more involved. I taught him to cut, fabricate and sew a baby blanket for his sister. It was a big undertaking for a 13 year old boy, but he did great and his blanket turned out fantastic! He also added a piece of fabric from a baby item of his to the blanket. So I knew when we decided to have a baby, I would do the same with him. Only, timing and schedules and pregnancy tiredness proved to be too much…but I did sit with him and have him cut some pieces from his baby towel to use for ruffles on little bean’s blanket for the blanket I’m making to match her room. He decided he liked a striped pattern, with his ruffles added in. I finally started it last night, and it’s sans Brennan ruffles right now because those will go on last. It’s another f bomb laden project, but will be fabulous in the end, I’m sure of it. And will be a piece of her, and her brother. But now I need to save items from both him AND this baby for the next bean’s blanket 😉
3) Art!…These two cards were sent by my mom. The ‘welcome to world…’ one was sent after she found out I was pregnant. So I scoured the Goodwill for frames (Hooray for 59cents), and still have two to fill, although I did consider leaving the random family in the top left frame, just for kicks. I’ll also have a spray paint project for these to be completed by the baby daddy…
4) Also in the art category, is this alphabet I designed and threw together to hang above her dresser. The room is a combined woodland/nature/birdie theme and with us both being artists, I had to include typography! So I created this alphabet poster, in addition to two other art pieces that cannot be revealed yet, since they involve her oh-so-secret name! The mobile is another piece we’re really excited about!!
5) The dresser…oh the dresser…I bought one and was going to refinish it, but wasn’t fully committed to it….thank goodness, because then I found my DREAM dresser! This authentic, vintage 60s/mid-century modern dresser that is TO DIE FOR! It’s been in our garage for months since I can’t lift anything heavy right now, but we finally got it moved up into her room last weekend. I was so excited, that I went on a baby clothes washing spree in anticipation of being able to put things away! That is, until I realized there’s an old lady living inside the drawers and she needs to be evicted…in other words, a couple of the drawers smell like a nursing home. So my current project is eradicating smell…attempt #2 will take place this weekend, since baking soda only did a partial job. Hence, all (or most) of her clothes ON TOP of the dresser!
There you have it! My five on Friday consisting of 5 things I’m loving in the bean’s room!