Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. I love being able to document moments of our lives…the exciting, the mundane, the day-to-day of our family and its surroundings. It’s an artistic medium I never tire of. But I’m also really bad about printing my photos or displaying them in our home. The downfall of the digital photography age is leaving so many wonderful memories on hard drives and online, never to be enjoyed outside of those realms. Or maybe you’re better about it than I am and ACTUALLY switch out your family photos regularly, in which case, I commend you!
Enter Polaroid…we all know Polaroid, the documentary photography of our childhood, the instant gratification of seeing your memories develop right before your eyes! The lyrics that say “shake it like a Polaroid picture” bring back a bit of nostalgia and thanks to the new Polaroid POP instant digital camera, I can make these same fun and interactive memories with my kids! This little camera is so fun and brings back those little memories in 3.5” x 4.25” format with the classic white border! But it’s even better because you can store up to 128G of photos, even with the ability to transfer them to other devices with the Wi-Fi capability. It has an LCD touchscreen and even records video! It’s also available in several fun colors with fun filters and emojis built-in so you can customize your photos! Then print them out and watch the memories unfold before your eyes!
Both of my kids have taken an interest in photography, especially our 5-year-old daughter. Our kids are used to seeing mom schlepping a camera around and it’s just something they’ve come to take a big interest in. Lark is always asking to take photos with my larger DSLR, but with this Polaroid POP, it’s the perfect size and format for her to compose and snap her own photos! Even our 3-year-old son gets in on the action and is easy for him to work too! They absolutely love seeing the photos print out when the shot is finished!
I wanted to create a fun, little project for them this Christmas season to display and show off their memories and creative eye, so I’ve gathered up some supplies and we are working on a Christmas Memories Scrapbook that is super simple and is something the kids can work on right along with me! I’d thought I’d share it with you all so you can jump in on the action too!
You will need:
- A scrapbook or your choosing – size and number of pages all depends on your preference. I went this super simple Kraft accordion scrapbook and it’s the perfect size for this project!
- Photo corners – I went with photo corners because I love how they look, but you could easily glue or photo tape as well.
- Holiday washi tape – I love Washi tape! It’s bright, colorful and easy to use! Such a fun little addition to these photos and a no mess option when working with kids.
- A Polaroid POP instant digital camera and ZINK paper.
- Sharpies or fine point markers.
- Make those holiday memories! Grab your Polaroid POP and start documenting all of those fun holiday festivities. Let the kids in on the action by letting them take photos from their point-of-view, which will be fun for them to look back on later!
- Print your photos onto the “film”…aka photo paper.
- Decorate your photos! Using the washi tape, add colorful borders to your photos, or even use the washi tape to decorate the pages of the book.
- Attach photos to the scrapbook pages using photo corners, photo tape, or even the washi tape if you’d prefer to tape them down with the colorful tape.
- Using a Sharpie or fine point marker, label the photos and pages with fun captions so you can remember the traditions and activities you enjoyed during the holidays!